Family Law Cases

Kentucky and Florida Family Law Attorney, Maggie Jo Hilliard
Family Law cases may arise pre-marriage, after having a child, after marriage and even after divorce.

There were 2.2 Million Marriages in the U.S. in 2017 and 787,251 Divorces (in 45 reporting U.S. states and D.C.) according to the CDC (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) "FastStats" on Family Life, The divorce rate dropped 18% between 2008 and 2016, according a September 2018 study on divorce rates by Philip N. Cohen of the University of Maryland .

Maggie Jo's theory to best performing family law services is to reduce costly litigation and hearing expenses by making every attempt to encourage cooperation and collaboration between family members at odds. Divorces need not be costly or unnecessarily contentious. Family Law cases can involve more than ending a marriage, and could involve many of the below legal concepts:

  • Adoptions: Adoption is a court action filed to establish legal parentage of another person. Adoption is differentiated from paternity actions, which establish biological parentage of a father for seeking child support, rights to inheritance or other legal orders. Adoption may follow a judge's order for termination of parental rights of a biological or previously legally-named parent. In terms of elder or mentally incompetent individuals, taking responsibility is called guardianship. Competent individuals may draft wills, powers of attorney, durable powers of attorney, estate plans, trusts or other documents to make their wishes known in the event of death or incapacity - such circumstances may also lead to an adoption or guardianship matter for minor children or incompetent dependents of a decedent or mentally-incapacitated person. There can be many types of adoption including, but not limited to, entity adoption (an agency or intermediary-facilitated adoption), step-parent adoption, close-relative adoption, adult adoption, international adoption, open adoption, private adoption, confidential adoptions, independent adoptions, identified adoption, same-sex adoption, grandparent adoption or other types, depending upon the matter's location and jurisdiction. Generally, adult adoptions refer to one seeking to grant inheritance and naming rights to a person via legal process. Each type of adoption has a unique procedure. Chapter 63 of the Florida Statutes governs adoptions in Florida and the Florida Bar Association provides guidance in their consumer pamphlets available at this link. In Kentucky, KRS Chapter 199 Sections 199..470 to 199.990 governs adoptions.